Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Irish Red Ale (overall batch # 7)



Last night I brewed a batch of Irish Red Ale with the assistance of Noah. It was good times, good procedures and a very good brew to look forward to enjoying. First "full-boil" batch for me, which is exciting. I enjoyed using the turkey fryer, although a sudden burst of rain caused us to move it into the garage. After a while of standing around watching the wort boil I realized it would be worth it to make the garage a bit more "brew friendly." By that I mean cleaning out some space so we don't feel cramped, adding some seating, maybe a card table to play cards on. After all, in case you don't know, there is a decent amount of just watching the pot boil when it comes to homebrew. Throw some hops in at certain times and continue to wait. Perfect for good conversation, card games, etc. Even found my wife out there spending time with us. She suggested a space heater for winter brewing comfort. I love her.

Took longer to bring 6.5 gallons to a boil than I factored in, so it was a late night. Also took longer to cool to pitching temp, go figure. But all in all, as late of a night as it was, it was also a real confidence booster. Brewing beer is fun, can be fairly uncomplicated, and is an enjoyable thing to do with friends. I think I will continue to make beer at home. Plus we did actually have the opportunity to "relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew." Quite satisfying. The pipeline of beer is getting more full with every day.

Status:
843 Amber : Bottled and ready (still hasn't carbed up completely)
Pale Ale #1 : bottled and going fast!
Sierra Nevada Clone : 3 gallon keg gone, a few bottles ready
American Wheat: bottled and ready
ContPils: in secondary awaiting keg or bottles
Saison: in secondary
Irish Red : primary

Mish's beer:
Goldenflower Ale : trying to salvage from kegging too early
American Barleywine: Primary, fermenting like crazy about to blow the lid off!

No comments:

Post a Comment